First Timers Welcome
Never climbed before? No problem, we welcome first time climbers. Our friendly staff will help you get setup, learn the basics and start your first climbs. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes from the time you enter the facility until you start climbing. Be sure to complete your wavier online before coming to the facility.
Everyone entering the gym must have a completed and up-to-date AZ on the Rocks waiver, both spectators and climbers. All children (individuals under 18) must have their waiver completed and signed by their own parent before using the facility. No permission slips, NO EXCEPTIONS.
AZ on the Rocks is a huge, fully air-conditioned rock climbing and fitness facility with a focus on customer service. Our rock and fitness gym offers approximately 14,000 + square feet of climbing terrain, and exercise and fitness equipment. No experience is necessary, and no reservations are required. AZ on the Rocks rents all gear necessary and provides basic instruction to all first-time visitors.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Everyone that is climbing or using the fitness area is required to go through an orientation on their first visit to our facility, regardless of climbing experience. This includes a short video, followed by hands-on instruction with our staff.
- For those that wish to belay (hold the ropes) and are not already certified to do so at AZR, there are 1-hour belay classes scheduled at specific days/times each week. The class costs $31 and includes your admission to the facility and gear for the day. For complete information about and schedule of classes, click here.
- If you have belayed before and can demonstrate proficient belay technique to our staff, you can test out of the belay class. Reference, “Do I Have to Belay Test.” section below.
- AZR staff does not belay (hold the ropes). Nobody under the age of 15 is allowed to belay, and must be accompanied by an adult while at the facility.
- For those that do not wish to learn how to belay, there are 8-10 autobelays available, as well as bouldering (climbing without ropes on the shorter walls) and the treadwall. There is still plenty of climbing!
- We do not recommend planning on less than 2 hours for your first visit. It may take 20-30 minutes to get through the orientation process and you want to have plenty of time to climb.
- AZR provides all of the necessary gear to get you climbing (harness, shoes, etc.), as well as yoga mats and props.
- We do ask that groups of 10 or more make reservations by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO CAN CLIMB
No matter your age, your size, your excuse-YOU CAN DO IT. We are an equal opportunity facility. We have seen as young as 18 months all the way up to 80 years on the wall.
We don’t allow the word “can’t” in our facility when referring to your ability to climb-particularly if you haven’t tried. Fear is learned, so our friendly staff is here to help you unlearn it and succeed!
WHAT ARE THE AGE RESTRICTIONS
- Anybody under the age of 18 must have a digital waiver completed by their own parent. No exceptions. Grandparents, aunts, friends, etc. are not able to sign for a minor. All adults, both spectators and climbers, must sign their own waiver.
- Nobody under the age of 15 is allowed to be at the facility without adult supervision. Anybody under the age of 15 that wishes to use the facility must be accompanied by someone that is 18 or older (a 16 year old is not able to be responsible for a 14 year old).
- Nobody under the age of 15 is allowed to belay (hold the ropes).
WHAT TO WEAR
- AZ on the Rocks enforces the following policy: During open public hours, anyone in the facility must be wearing an athletic top (this includes shirts, tank-tops, sports bras, etc.
- Any comfortable clothing that allows for movement (jeans are not recommended) will do just fine. We do not recommend short shorts (such as cheer shorts) as they are not long enough to keep the harness from rubbing on the legs.
- We do not require socks with our rental shoes, but feel free to bring/wear them if you prefer.
HOW LONG IS THE ORIENTATION
- Any climbers that are new to our facility will watch a short 10-minute orientation video and go through a brief hands-on overview with our staff.
- Orientation for new climbers are run through the day as needed, however, we recommend arriving no later than 75 minutes before closing time.
DO I HAVE TO BELAY TEST
- For those that already have a good base knowledge of climbing and know how to properly belay, there is an option to test out of the belay class. If you haven’t belayed recently, or feel unsure about any part of the process, we recommend taking our belay class!
- Tests are PASS/FAIL at the staff’s discretion. Upon failing a test, participants must wait 24hrs before retesting.
- Top-rope tests are scheduled at regular times during the week, please see the online schedule to check available class times; they are run based on availability of staff.
- Lead tests must be scheduled in advance by emailing email@example.com.
- There are set criteria that must be demonstrated to pass the test. If you do any of the things on the IMPROPER LIST, you will automatically fail the test regardless of your abilities to perform the other actions.
- If you are interested in testing out, click here for the document explaining what you need to know/skills you will need to demonstrate.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Day Pass Pricing
Parents & Children in same household
You can now purchase Day Passes and Memberships online.